Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Instructors Forget or Believe Something Else

When an Instructor says, "There is no performance anxiety in my class," what are they really saying?

* I am not in touch with my students.
* I choose to forget about my personal experiences when I danced.
* I do not understand the concept of performance anxiety. 
*I do not have time to listen.
* I don't know how to handle it, so I pretend it does not exist.

Often times I hear a resignation from instructors, "There is nothing one can do about it. You suck it up."

Students don't usually tell their Instructor about the knot in their stomach or how they cry at night or how afraid they are of their part or how they worry and worry.  Performers I work with privately do not tell, is this common? Maybe you all talk amongst yourselves about your worries and fears.


How much a part of performance is fear before it causes errors and mistakes? (Stress does that. Focus does that, too.)

Can these states of mind be explored? (Maybe not if one believes a can of worms is being opened)

Do we resign to dance less than who we are on stage when we are full of worry? (Can go either way. Also takes away from emotion.)

When are we accountable for how well we do? Do we say, "I excuse myself because I was nervous? We then associate anxiety -> worry during performance -> error - > more worry about performance.(Then we can work to resolve it, talk about it or seek help) Not a good 

Isn't it our responsibility to take our best selves to the stage? (Yes. We learn techniques of dance and for mind.)

Of course not every one needs to "see a therapist" or "hire a coach" (but they can be helpful). 
However, a kind supportive word, such as "You can."  "YES." can make the world of difference to empower that gnawing fear or shaking anxiety into a moment of greatness.

Yes.       You can.

I believe in each and every one of you.

Anxiety an be a good thing, when used to advantage. Your shaking knees are ready to move ...




P.S. Instructors are doing the best they can too even when they worry - quietly.

No comments: