Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dear Sanna - home life

I cannot believe I have already been home for two weeks. I am soaking up the laziness. I almost feel guilty, not taking full advantage of every moment home, but I am just too content sleeping until almost noon, spending quality time with my puppy (who is 9 but will always be my puppy), and hanging out with my parents! I am so lame. But I like it.

I still take class about 4 times a week and go see my friends, there's just a lot of time at home. I actually gave myself a class at home the other day, because I couldn't make it to the studio. I decided to practice teaching, too, because lately I've been thinking more and more about how I really would like to teach some day. So like a big idiot, I showed and said the combination, did it right and left with the music, and corrected myself. Haha hopefully nobody was walking by to peak in the curtains, because I'm sure I looked like a crazy person talking to myself while dancing in my dining room.

I actually met my old ballet teacher yesterday to catch up. She is the one who encouraged me to go away two years ago, and I really feel like I owe a lot to her for getting me where I needed to be to take the next step in my training. It was so nice, we chatted for almost two hours before we both needed to go, and she gave me some great insight and advice. I think I'll share the two biggest pieces of advice she gave for all of you out there:

1) Keep up with college. Even just one class every 6 months, just to stay on top of it. She suggests UC Berkeley online, because it's relatively inexpensive, you can do it from anywhere because it's all online, and you have 6 months to complete the course, with no deadlines in between. I like that you can manage your own time. The website is http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/

2) If at all possible, start a retirement fund. Ask your company if they have any sort of program where they will match the amount you place in your retirement fund, because this is all non-taxable money that will grow and be incredibly helpful in the future. My dad will be happy to hear about this one

Janie

No comments: