Monday, April 6, 2009

Dear Sanna - being a ballerina

Sometimes I am amazed at the way our ballet mistress can take a piece of horrible choreography and give us corrections and actually make something out of it. If it were me, I wouldn't even know where to start cleaning some of the crappy ballets we do. It's really amazing the way she can make the ballet look completely different without really changing the steps.

...which brings me to the simple little epiphany I had today: dance like a ballerina. I know. Incredible breakthrough. But really, when I pictured myself dancing the choreography as if I were the ballet mistress, it felt completely different. The artistic director (and many others) have told me many times I look as if I'm not trying or not enjoying the dancing, even though they know I care a lot and really love it. So I just need to think about how much I love it, or pretend I love it if it happens to be choreography I don't love. Simple as that and my face changes and I don't look like I want to crawl out of my skin. Hopefully. Of course it's not magic, but makes a big difference.

Janie

No comments: