Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dear Sanna - teaching

Teaching is a lot of fun. It's really helpful to see how these little people approach ballet. I think about things in new ways and explaining it really helps me to make sense of things for myself.

Unfortunately, I have to take the good with the bad! Sometimes the little monsters can be a handful, especially the youngest group - mostly 6-year-olds. I spend half the class screaming at them to be quiet! Yet for some reason that is beyond me, they still LOVE me. I guess it's pretty much impossible to give a class of young dancers a barely professional teacher they wouldn't like, but it's still hard for me to believe they still latch on to me when I try to leave after I've spent the last hour screaming at them. Go figure. Anyway, I must admit it's a nice little boost of confidence to have my own little fan club. Rather than the usual band of critics!

The other day, I observed the youngsters in their class with the school director, however, and learned that they CAN actually do an entire combination without talking or messing up too too much. They even raised their hands when they just couldn't keep their words in anymore. I was very impressed and surprised to see this, and now that I know they are capable of behaving (sort of), I will be more strict in my demands. I'll let you know how it goes...

Janie

No comments: