Wednesday, September 3, 2008

DanceMind: Dear Janie -- Dance!

Janie, I want you to understand that ranting is human nature. Yet there is a responsibility with ranting.  We have all said things out of emotion. Sometimes we insert foot.  Sometimes it is just a pattern of behavior.

I used to complain a lot about everything. One day, I 'heard' myself and realized that I complained when I didnot even mean it.  I made a change on that very day to be conscious of my complaining.  Every time I complained, I stopped myself immediately. I broke the pattern.

As a newbie, you don't really know who will take the rant for what it is a moment of frustration. Also relationships change thru time. Who is a friend today may not be a friend in 3 months and then a friend again in 2 months. 

On the 'job' you have to be careful with what you say, especially to your 'co-workers.  

Feel free to rant here. I am sure your rant will be familiar to many other dancers who have had those moments.  I encourage you to rant.  Tension and stress is about how you react to it.

Energetically you do not want to be a part of the problem. 

Smiling releases endorphines and other feel good hormones.  The next time you hear yourself ranting, stop yourself and half smile. Notice what happens.

How is the adjustment going with city life?  Have you received your first paycheck?





No comments: