Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dear Sanna - day two

This pretending has led to some interesting things:

1) It makes sometimes slightly boring classes (or just monotonous, whatever - i'm not saying ballet is boring!) more exciting and fun, and gives me a little motivation and energy when I am really tired

2) I think this helps a lot with what most people consider the last step in a dancer's training - polishing your movements and having that maturity and essence of a professional.

3) Sometimes it is hard for me to stick with just one dancer. The ballet teacher I use as my main model usually comes to mind, but sometimes when I am given a step, I see a different dancer who I know does the step especially well. For example, today we did double pirouettes from fifth, and I just automatically pictured a dancer I know who does beautiful pirouettes from fifth. I know I am supposed to stick with the same person, but it seemed to help more to think of this other dancer for that specific step.

I'll let you know how the rest of the week goes!

No comments: