Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Visualize perfection

I do visualizations for a performance. At night before I went to sleep and often before going on stage I would visualize myself dancing the piece flawlessly, and it really helped me focus and feel more comfortable on stage. I don't know why I didn't think to use this same idea in class, but I guess it's like any other correction; even though I know how to fix something, sometimes I need to hear the correction again as a reminder to actually do what I need to do to fix it.

Your last post nailed exactly how I feel about corrections, too. I am upset if a teacher is neglecting me, and I'm upset if I get the same corrections over and over, or even if I get new corrections without immediately being able to fix them. Sometimes I swear all I am thinking about is fixing a common correction before the teacher gets to me, and as I am literally coaching myself about a specific correction in my head, the teacher corrects me on that one thing. OR I am too busy thinking about everything else on my body and I momentarily forget about one tiny detail and the teacher catches me. This is almost just as annoying - I just wanna scream "give me a break! I was thinking about my arms and I forgot to point my feet for a second!" But why should I be mad? The teacher is only trying to help...

No comments: