Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dear Sanna - Don't worry it's just ballet

The other day I was mildly horrified when my teacher told another dancer, "Don't worry. It's just ballet." It was kind of sarcastic, but also serious, I think. At first I was really upset by this comment, since "just ballet" happens to be my life at the moment. I mean I really do devote almost everything I do to ballet. But she has a point. I mean, obviously I wouldn't want to stop dancing tomorrow, but I also wouldn't want to stop watching tv or driving a car, but life would go on, if not as happily as before (to say the least). Anyway, the point is not to minimize the importance or respect I have for ballet, because I obviously place it pretty high on my list of things I love, but maybe the point is that ballet is not the end all, and if I mess up in class, it really isn't the end of the world. Yes, it can be upsetting, but I guess knowing that life can go on without ballet just puts a little less pressure on the whole thing. Or maybe I came to terms with the comment that set off this whole train of thought because it's a happy reminder that I do ballet mainly because it is fun, and I secondly really REALLY want to succeed as a ballerina. Just an interesting thing I guess...

--Janie, real ballet dancer with an anonymous name

No comments: