Monday, January 28, 2008

DanceMInd: Dear Janie -- Evaluation Questions and more

Unless you have a legitimate complaint then I would let it go and be more timely in the future. As someone who taught courses at a college level, an instructor hears many many creative reasons why work was not completed.  You could send her a note of apology to be 'professional.' We have all been in that situation of being just a hair to late and paying the consequences for it.

Evaluation questions --

You want you approach to be respectful and direct. Listen very carefully and bring a note pad if you want to write after the evaluation. You see then this becomes a part of your goals setting. Steps to take on the way to becoming a paid dancer ...

In order for me to advance into a company position, what are the areas in which I need to have improvement.  Can you give me a few suggestions on what I can do to improve that (if you d not know).  

You can also ask for areas of noticeable improvement from the evaluator. 

Given my style of dance, my work ethic and overall presentation, what kind of company might be interested in a dancer like me? Am I a possible consideration with ____ in the near future?

Can I set up an appointment to meet with you (or someone) about career guidance?  I think the focus of the interview is on what you are doing well and areas for improvement. You want to be very clear when you exit that you have the information you need to move forward to design a plan.  The career support is a different topic altogether, Janie. Of course you can be ready to ask, if there is time and the instructor is agreeable. 

I think a good sit down about how to get work would require a tet-a-tet.  You will have to be the one to take charge and get what you need. 

Get back to the blog tonight if possible to square away your evaluation questions.  What have you heard from others about the porcess?

Sanna Carapellotti, MS CCHT
MentalPerformances.com

No comments: