Saturday, November 3, 2007

Dear Janie -- Mixed messages

Could you dare voice your confusion at the time of evaluation? Approach the teachers with a list of questions that are specific that could give you honest clear answers?

......... Then you would continue to dance regardless?

A few years ago I spoke with a previous ballet dancer named Flo. She was at NYB school when Mr Balanchine was there. I did not ask her time period, I am going to guess it was the 1970's. I was talking with her about this very thing -- mixed messages and how do you really know if you really have potential to be a professional dancer.

She had an interesting story --- She was in the school ( I think it was the school, not company) and was 'dismissed,' sent home by a teacher. Flo was shocked and tearful because her life was ballet. She did not believe it was over. She went to Mr Balanchine to say goodbye.

He told her that in no way was she to leave. He loved her dancing. She continued her training ...


You raise some very good points, Janie. How do you know amidst mixed messages? Good question. How do you get real answers?

How about -- Would you hire me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool Mr. Balanchine spoke on her behalf! I'm facinated with stories about him...

~A

Anonymous said...

you sound really nice but there is no way i would hire you as a dance therapist...you spelled balanchine wrong a few times.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't hire her either - cause she helped me get over really bad stage fright and now I am in an apprentice position. If it weren't for her helping me get on track in my mind, I would still be crying in my pointe shoes ALONE at night.

BTW - I misspelled her name on the payment check I gave her. Luckily she did not stop seeing me.

Balanchine is with a captiaI "B."

I don't think she is a dance therapist either.

I don't mean to be so picky but she is really good at what her work is.

Anonymous said...

Oh - I want to clear up what I said... I would not hire her either BECAUSE she helped me so much I do not need to hire her again unless something else comes up. SHe is really cool. I don't know how she comes up with this stuff.

Anonymous said...

I posted #3. It did not come out right. I meant that I would not need to hire her because she helped me already. She is really cool with what she does. I did not know I could use my mind like that. My dancing really improved

She is something else not a dance therapist.