Friday, November 2, 2007

Dear Sanna - boo

I read the article, and it kind of frustrates me. Obviously the dancers in companies come from SOMEWHERE, so some schools must be doing an adequate job. Also, dancers today are technically so much better than those of the past, it is all relative when people say that schools are not training dancers to be immediately ready to enter a company. It also seems like the recent norm is to spend at least a year in some sort of in-between apprentice or pre-professional program, rather than get a job in a corps straight out of high school.

Anyway, I am confused my the mixed messages I am receiving, but at least I'm getting positive feedback from someone, and if I were to pick who, it would be the company over the school, so I can't complain too much. After all, I am seeking a career with the company, not the school. We are supposed to have conferences in January, so maybe that will clear up a little of my confusion, but I guess until then I will just have to figure it out for myself or leave it as a mystery...

--Janie, real ballet dancer with an anonymous name

No comments: